Dec 14, 2021
4 Ups Battery Life Strategies You Should Try
UPS BATTERY LIFE
The maintenance-free accumulator using UPS energy battery has an overall lifetime of 3-5 years. Also, some users will soon be armed with a very long lifetime version, such as 8 to 10 years, the longest upward to over 20 years.UPS battery types, generally speaking, may be broken up into lead-acid batteries, lead-acid maintenance-free battery life, and nickel-cadmium battery life, etc., considering the loading requirement, using factors such as environment, service lifetime, and cost, to ensure the safety of the system is dependable, stable performance, overall UPS electricity supply Suggestions about five years to replace a battery, specific needs on the true situation.
FACTORS AFFECTING THE BATTERY LIFE OF UPS
1. Ambient temperature
If the ambient temperature is too high, the battery will be overcharged and produce gas; if the ambient temperature is too low, the UPS battery will be undercharged, which will affect the service life of the battery. Therefore, the general UPS power battery requires an ambient temperature of about 25℃, UPS floating charging voltage value is also set according to this temperature.
2. Discharge depth
The deeper the discharge depth of the UPS power battery is, the fewer cycles it will be used. Therefore, deep discharge should be avoided during use.
3. A storage battery in the process of storage, transportation, installation, will lose part of the capacity due to self-discharge Before the battery is put into use after installation, the remaining capacity of the battery should be determined according to the open-circuit voltage of the UPS power battery, and then the battery can be recharged by different methods. The standby storage battery should be recharged every 3 months.
The quality of the battery can be judged by measuring the open-circuit voltage of the battery.
4. Charging and discharging current of UPS battery
For example, 100AH battery, C=100A. The optimal charging current of lead-acid maintenance-free UPS battery is about 0.1c, and the charging current should not be greater than 0.3c. Too much or too little charging current will affect the service life of the battery.
5. Charging voltage
As the UPS battery is a standby mode of operation, the mains power is normally charged and will discharge only when the power is cut off.
To extend the service life of the battery, the charger of UPS is generally controlled by constant voltage current limitations. After the battery is full, it will turn into a floating charging state, and the floating charging voltage of each section is set to about 13.6v.
If the charging voltage is too high, the battery will be overcharged, otherwise, the battery will be undercharged.
6. Installation environment
The UPS power accumulator shall be installed in a clean, cool, ventilated, dry place as far as possible, and shall be protected from sunlight, heaters, or other radiant heat sources. The UPS power battery should be placed upright and not tilted at an Angle. The terminals between each battery should be firmly connected.
HOW TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF UPS BATTERY
1. Maintain an appropriate ambient temperature. The performance parameters of UPS battery are calibrated at room temperature of 20.
The increase of the ambient temperature will lead to the enhancement of the chemical activity in the battery, which will generate a large amount of heat energy, which in turn will promote the increase of the ambient temperature, this vicious cycle will accelerate the shortening of battery life.
2, regular charging and discharging, UPS battery should be generally every 2-3 months should be fully discharged once, the discharge time can be determined according to the capacity of the battery and load size.
After a full load discharge, according to the provisions of the charge for more than 8 hours.
3. Regularly check the terminal voltage and internal resistance of each unit’s UPS power battery, and charge each unit’s battery evenly, to restore the internal resistance of the battery and eliminate the imbalance of terminal voltage between each unit’s batteries.
4. Re-float charging. The UPS power battery shall be shut down for more than 10 days. Before restarting, the UPS power shall be started without any load to use the charging circuit in the machine to re-charge the battery for more than 10 ~ 12h and then run under load.
Today’s UPS battery system has a high degree of intelligence, and the use of the maintenance-free battery, easy to use;
Use a processor to pay more attention to the use of correct maintenance methods and regular maintenance of UPS power battery, to ensure that the UPS power supply and battery life, reduce user investment and maintenance costs.